How graduates deal with post graduate depression




Students share how real life becomes after commencement

Chantel Brown experienced an existential crisis, one that happens to many college graduates following commencement. Brown, a recent graduate from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, with a degree in communications, struggles to create her own structure to adhere to now that she’s graduated.

Chantel Brown, a UNLV graduate. Source: Chanel Brown

While not having a formal diagnosis, post-graduate depression describes the feeling of sadness and loss some graduates experience following commencement. Universities provide an inveterate structure for students, and once stripped away and they venture into the ‘real world,’ life becomes uncertain, life that lack mandatory classes, strict schedules, lunch during class gaps with friends and an abundance of anxiety and depression. Social media also contributes to post-graduation depression by having platforms filled with stories of success from people in academia, celebrities, and public figures. These posts lead to toxic comparisons, anxiety, and jealousy, which eliminates the likeliness of asking for help.


“Graduation hit me really hard because I’m a super senior because I'm on my fifth year in school. I’ve been riding this wave for five years without thinking about life after graduation,” Brown said. “The other morning I was so frustrated, I looked in the mirror and asked myself ‘What is my purpose?’”


According to a recent American Psychological Association report, four in five adults in the U.S. report that they constantly or often check their email, texts, and social media accounts. Stress levels are higher for constant phone checkers, or people who check social media platforms frequently to see the success of others, than those who do not engage with their technology as frequently, the study finds.


Brown, who graduated in December 2017, relates to those who have an increased feeling of sadness or hopelessness. Once a constant phone checker, she feels resentment towards college in general. She is currently working a part-time retail job and does music gigs for extra money.


UNLV commencement. Source: UNLV

“When I was in school, I feel like there was never an emphasis on what to expect after graduation. Even now after looking at my transcripts and seeing the mandatory classes I had to take, the money I owe the government for my loans, and the disgusting feeling I have right almost four months later, I wonder was it worth it?” Brown said. “I look on social media and see that some people are in the place that I should be in, but they didn’t go to college. So now I’m feeling like I wasted five years of my life.”


Brown now ignores social media posts and primarily uses it to post pictures from her performances and to network. She has also started going back to school to ask previous professors for advice and help for job search.


“I realized that the only person that can get myself out of this dump is me,” she said. “Last week, I went to my old professor’s office to ask if he knew about paid internships in my field or career fairs for graduates. Asking him for help was probably the best thing I’ve done since December because now I have three interviews set up.”


Not having a job immediately after graduation is not the only cause of post-graduate depression. Many graduates miss the structure and flexibility university grants students.


Arlynda Gregory, a journalism and media studies graduate who finished in December 2017, misses the organized chaos of school. Gregory, who now works for a sports radio show on SiriusXM and part-time job at Victoria’s Secret, contemplates graduate school to fulfil her loss.


“I want to go to grad school, but I also want to move forward with my career in sports journalism and I also want to have money,” Gregory said. “I just feel like there are not enough hours in the day. My day starts at 2 a.m., I get off work at 10 a.m., I go home to nap for two hours and go to my other job from 1 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., go home, eat, sleep, and start all over again. I knew life would be hard after college, but sometimes it is overwhelming.”


Social media’s role in post-graduate depression can impact the mental health of those that view peers or public figure’s feeds. A recent study of high school students found that increased time spent on digital devices is linked to lower self-esteem and a decrease in well-being.


Social media notification. Source: Getty Images 

Post-graduate depression still exists for many, even without a formal diagnosis. Asking for help from successful peers or past professors and taking a break from comparing lives on social media can help graduates get their lives on track.

                                             #graduate #unlv #postgraduate #students

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggles of a first-time mom

Feature Nut Graph - UPDATED

Profile Nut Graph UPDATED